Saturday, September 13, 2008

A Texas Tale

It's been 3 weeks since my visit to Texas and I'm just now getting the photos up. Y'all aren't going to start a petition, are you? I do have a rather lame excuse for my procrastination which I will now try to pass off as a valid reason for being lazy: Back to school! Matt and I just completed our first full week of full-time language school (5 more to go!). Until now, we've been meeting with the very sweet Jana (pronounce Yahnah) twice a week for 1 1/2 hours each. No biggie. Now we're taking what we've learned with Jana and building (cramming) 6 weeks of intensive Czech on top of it to help us become more conversant, whatever that means. In reality though, it's already starting to help. All of the things we've learned so far we're having to use everyday for 4 1/2 hours at a time. Yep, you heard that right. No English. None. For 4 1/2 hours. Every. Day. My brain actually feels smaller and mushier at the end of every class. So there, that's why I haven't posted anything of consequence lately (let's just forget the fact that I had two weeks to post before that little class thingy ever got started, ok? ok). Anywho, my trip to Texas was obviously not a fun little trip home to say hi. I went home to say goodbye to my dear MawMaw whom I loved dearly and miss daily. While home, I got to meet my baby nephew, Caleb, for the first time, see lots of family, and eat lots of food. I'm so sad and quite guilty that Matt didn't get to come with me.



Our first kiss. Okay, I did most of the kissing, but I know he loved every minute.



Granny took his paci and he really wanted to cry but he posed nicely instead for his favorite Aunt.





Man boobs! So cute!



Big brother Siler. He will absolutely stop whatever he is doing to smile for the camera, as long as you show him his picture when you're done. Cute!



Peek-a-boo with Daddy. Please notice the trademark 'chicken wings' and 'potbelly' he inherited from his father.



Siler and Granny swimming in the "waher".



My niece, Rebecca, who I swear was just 3 years old is now almost 12 and as tall as me.



Riding Okey with Tyler. We talked and laughed and he "Tooted on the saddle, Aunt Bally" (and subsequently tooted on me).



Tyler with his little buddy Charlie who now lives in his backyard. Please stop what you're doing right now and picture this adorable child clapping and spinning because, "Now we have horses and cows!!!"



Eating Pappasitos!!! Jason (Matt's brother) took this photo just to torture Matt. He still wakes up screaming, "Fajitas!"



Tyler and his Mommy, Robyn with her cute prego belly (due December).



My family (Dad's side + Mama and Pa) at Buca di Beppo. This picture also causes Matt to wake up screaming, "Meatballs!"

*Funny Metro Story: Matt and I were riding home from a friend's house tonight on the Metro (subway). There sat a guy behind us in his early twenties rocking to whatever music was playing in his headphones. Now I've always wondered what kind of music Czechs listen to when they're riding on public transportation and walking in the city but I've never had the vocabulary or courage to ask one. Tonight we found out. After polishing off his 2 liter beer, which I'm sure was not his first of the night (I'm guessing there's no rule against public intoxication here) he began to sing for us. And it just so happened that the more people who looked at him and tried to hide their laughter, the louder he sang. So much so that by the time the doors opened at the next stop and we exited the train, the entire station was filled with the chorus of Bon Jovi's "Living on a Prayer". So folks, hold on, to what we've got...we've got each other. And that's a lot.

1 comment:

The Massons said...

ok. 1. i love bucca di beppos! or however you spell it. we had one near where we lived. 2. silar (sp?) looks like Matt! Is that even possible??