Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas (Eve)!!!

Merry Christmas from Spain! We're celebrating Christmas here with Matt's parents and it's absolutely wonderful. It's been a little bit windy and cool, but nowhere near what the weather's been like in Prague. There's not even the slightest chance of snow here (not with 60 degree weather). Today, we visited the UK territory of Gibraltar. First, though, I'd like to show you a picture of the darkest day of the year in Prague. It was exactly 4:15 on December 21 when I took this picture. According to the Almanac and other fun sources (like my professor in college), we'll be gaining a couple of minutes of daylight every day until summer, until the sun rises at 4 something in the morning and doesn't set until almost 10.



Our villa...



The view from the front garden...



'The Rock' passport control. Pedestrians on the right, cars on the left.





At the southern end of Gibraltar, looking at Africa (Morocco) in the distance.



The 'apes' were not really apes, just monkeys that the Arabs brought over years ago. They wander around and just stare at you as you take their picture. Yes, I was actually that close (no zoom, I promise!)



In St. Michaels's Cave. Lots of stalactites and stalagmites.



I thought this picture of Matt looked kind of scary...



Looking up...



And and a performance hall, inside the cave!







Inside the Great Siege Tunnels, where they held off the Spanish and the French. It was a little windy where I was standing (see Mama, he doesn't take silly pictures just of you!).



Back outside the tunnels. Behind Matt is the cliff facing where they would shoot the cannons out of (how's that for grammar?).



Main street in Gibraltar. We had fish and chips. Yummy.



That's all for now. We'll be taking it easy tomorrow but hopefully we'll get out and see something beautiful. Merry Christmas! We miss you all!

No comments: