Saturday, July 12, 2008

I did a bad thing...

So I kind of forgot to ask my doctor if it was okay to bend my knee. I asked the woman I shared a room with in the hospital and she said we needed to keep our knees straight. So I did. For a week. Then I got to thinking that it was probably not the best idea to keep a joint straight. So I called my doctor. Here's a recap of our conversation:

Me: Hello. I had a couple of questions.
Dr. Hromadka: Yes?
Me: Umm, so I forgot to ask you this in the hospital, but, can I bend my knee?
Dr. Hromadka: Oh, you must!!!
Me: Hmmm, yeah that's what I thought. And yeah, I've totally been doing that.
Dr. Hromadka: Is there anything else?
Me: Yeah, can I take these bandaid things off? They make it pretty hard to bend my knee.
Dr. Hromadka: No.
Me: Oh, okay. Well...
Dr. Hromadka: So I will see you Monday to remove the sutures?
Me: Oh, yeah, sure. See you then.

(He's a man of few words, I tell ya.)

Oops. So I hadn't bent my knee more than a couple of degrees for 7 days! I've spent the last 2 days trying to get my knee to a 90 degree angle. Not fun. And what does a non-bending knee do when you try to bend it? It swells and hurts, that's what! Oh well, it'll give me something to do while my mom and Matt paint the town red. Some of you have asked to see my awesome scar and the truth is, I haven't even gotten to see the incisions yet. The doctor won't let me take the bandaid things off. I do know that I will have two very small scars because they only cut two holes in my knee. Here are some shots from the week and some of my knee (please pardon my paleness).



Matt and my mom trying to put together our tiny new grill. I love his face here.



Notice the dried blood stain on the left side of the photo. Thats the right side of my knee where the doctor (sadist) pulled the tube out. He did not stitch that hole up. More pictures to come.

2 comments:

lankris said...

I'm glad your leg is still attached! Good thing, too - Julie and I were not looking forward to having to operate on you... :)

The Massons said...

so how that recipe blog eh??