Sunday, April 27, 2008

More Sightseeing

We had our first two full language lessons this week. My head was swimming after each lesson. I was definitely glad I had found a bottle of Advil this week at the 'lekarna'. We've learned what seems like a hundred phrases and at the moment I can remember exactly one: "Co je to?" which means "What is it/this?" The good news is the grammar makes sense (sort of) and sentence structure is not super important. So I can say, "Where is it?" or "It is where?" and people will understand me. I think we'll get the hang of it eventually. At least we'll get enough to go grocery shopping. We also spent a morning with a Czech church planter looking at some of the campuses of Charles University. We went to about 22 different buildings in 4 or 5 different sections of the city and it took us about 4 hours to cover it all. Pretty overwhelming. I think homesickness is starting to settle in a little bit so it was good for us to be reminded of why we're here. All those students... We are slowly but surely developing a plan for outreach, though. We even get to use one of the volunteer teams this summer to help us with some research, planning and outreach. We took a volunteer team from Kentucky sight-seeing this weekend. They had spent 4 days prayer walking a section of the city with us and definitely deserved some relaxation and tourism.



Normally, this cathedral has absolutely no line (at least it hasn't the last three times Matt and I have been there) but this time the line was around the corner and down the length of the building. Needless to say, we did not go in. I guess it's close to summer and everyone is on holiday (plus it was Saturday).



Like my photography? I was trying out some settings on our camera.



In the Castle Quarter overlooking the city. I'm assuming this is part of the castle wall because there were places in the wall to shoot an arrow through.



The peacocks have trapped themselves in the bushes! Not really, they just hop on top of a bush and then hop down. Pretty funny to watch. When I walked up, they all looked at me like, "Umm, we're not quite sure how this happened."

2 comments:

The Massons said...

so how's the view from the kitchen??

Tay and Teigan said...

hey valerie! i found your blog on facebook... i love it! so what are you doing in prague? that sounds so cool.